vrijdag 3 augustus 2018

Colorado Charlie

Colorado Charlie got it right. Located in the northern part of the Scheveningen beaches, along the Zwarte Pad area known for its more party-oriented beach clubs, its design and atmosphere are perfectly crafted in a combination of industrial and driftwood chic. The main beach club consists of an arched red hangar made out of corrugated iron. The terraces around it, made out of colourful fake driftwood, feature a podium for musical concerts and lots of lounging space for the young and trendy folks who seem to flock here to see and be seen. There's good early funk and disco music playing on the sound system that adds to the atmosphere of 'a place to be'. Colorado Charlie is a new addition here this summer and if they keep this up, I am quite sure it has a bright future ahead of it.

We pick a place right next to the hangar, in the shade. I am in the late stages of a terrible migraine attack and would be happy to shun the sun for a bit. I get these migrain attacks irregularly - after 13 years of them, I still have not really figured out what causes them, or how to prevent them. Working out regularly seems to help, as does avoiding stress and getting enough sleep. I've worked out pretty well the last few weeks, but it has been a stressful time and I certainly could do with a bit more sleep. Last weekend, I drove with my good friend to Hungary to visit his parents and eat peaches, and this driving through Europe in a heatwave might have been a bit too much.

Anyway, here we are now. As I've written earlier, you can really judge whether a beachclub wants to attract a younger, hipper crowd rather than families from the absence of a playground - Colorado Charlie is one of those. I had to promise Rihanna Gaga that we would go to a place with a playground later on, but for now, she is fine. After we've settled in our little corner, she walks to a few beach chairs and says they're so small, they must be meant for children. Then, she sits down in one of them. Meanwhile, I check out the menu. There's not much on it, but Colorado Charlie features an unexpected choice of flammkuchen - why exactly they've settled on this German pizza is anyone's guess, but it certainly sets them apart from any other beachclub, so I decide to try it out and pick the one with bacon and onion (€9,00). I order a kid's flammkuchen for Rihanna Gaga as well (€7,00), but she says she'd prefer a croquette. These are not on the menu, I tell her, and I assure her she'll like the flammkuchen. I also take a mint tea for myself.

When the food is brought, Rihanna Gaga looks doubtfully at her pizza. The onions are not to her liking, so I take those off and tell her that it is basically a pizza. She tries it and she loves it, thankfully. The flammkuchen makes a good lunch. It's a bit greasy for my taste, but then that is to be expected of a flammkuchen.  As we eat, the waitress comes along to ask Rihanna Gaga what she wants to drink. "Water with ice cubes," she says and the friendly waitress returns with a true feast: A large glass of water, plenty of ice cubes and slices of lemon (the latter she doesn't want, but I am pleased to add them to my mint tea). Rihanna Gaga and I giggle together at the guy in front of us who, for the third time since we arrived, takes a glass of water and throws it over his own head to cool down. The sea is right in front of him, but he apparently prefers mineral water. I feel slighly out of place among the patrons of this place, as a father and daughter couple - most people are decidedly younger and look as if they spend half of their time in the gym and the other half showing off their gym bodies here at Colorado Charlie.


Rihanna Gaga reminds me of my promise that we will go to a place with a playground after the food is finished - but then she's off to the part of Colorado Charlie's terrace where she can play in the sand. I read a bit, but I feel my headache is playing up, so I decide to pay. Rihanna Gaga insists on coming with me. When we leave, she reveals why: she was hoping there'd be peppermints. This is probably also the reason why she really wants to go to another beachclub instead of a playground near to our house. Alas, at  Barbarossa, the first beachclub with a playground we meet after leaving Colorado, there are no peppermints either. There is, however, a nice playhouse, slide and sling that keeps the little one busy for a while.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten